Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Day 2 of My Imprisonment


I've been sitting/lying around contemplating my future convalescence and a cat diary came to mind. Actually, it was a dog diary compared to a cat diary. Gotta love the Internet - I was able to find it.

The surgery yesterday went well. Some expected waiting, but I was wheeled into the operating room around 12:30. The surgeon and the anesthesiologist had both been to see me, making sure it was clear which foot was to be the object of their attentions, drawing black marker arrows pointing at the joint in question. I was reassured. I was told what was going to be ground off, where the screw was going to go, where the nerve blocks and freezing would be put... Maybe too much information for some, but I was happy to hear it.

The operating room seemed large, nice windows with a view, lots of neat machines and tools all around...and I got to see it for all of 2 minutes. I remember a nurse arranging a nice arm rest and the anesthesiologist injecting something into my IV line. An hour later I wake up in the recovery room, completely alert, with a large wrapped foot. No nausea. Nice.

Back to the ward - a couple of juice boxes and a muffin. Managing to get dressed and hopping around with the crutches. The surgeon came by to see how things were going: the joint had no cartilage and lots of bone spurs. That would explain the pain. No weight on the front of that foot for 2 months. In fact, the dressing doesn't even come off for 2 months. I wonder what will be going on under the bandages during that time?

The night was fine. I was expecting the freezing to be out by midnight, but it still feels numb this morning. No pain at all, so far. I have these painkillers to use. Better living through chemistry I always say. I'm sure I will get a chance to use them....

So...the day ahead. I have CBC Radio, my computer, a bunch of files I need to work on, a new accounting program I want to learn how to use, many podcasts, two e-books, a fire in the stove....and where I'm staying is small and easy enough to get around. My "nurse" will be back from her day helping with the twins in time for supper, and the view down across the valley will be nice with the new snow that fell last night.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Your "nurse"??? Hmmm, I'm interested to hear what Catherine has to say about that comment! :-)

No nausea? Lucky you!!! Definitely not that way for me when I had a surgery a couple years ago!! Blech!

Speedy recovery Dave!!